Interesting writing meme
Jan. 12th, 2011 02:57 pmPick a character and I will give and explain the top five ideas/concepts/etc I keep in mind while writing that character that I believe are essential to accurately depicting them. Any and all characters welcome. (even ones i haven't written but might know about...)
Go for it. Go for it.
Go for it. Go for it.
(no subject)
Date: 2011-01-12 09:33 pm (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2011-01-12 11:18 pm (UTC)2. Using aforementioned over-analysis, she develops convictions which she holds with absolute certainty. She is very reluctant to overturn these convictions, even though they are usually catastrophically wrong. In short, her own intelligence generally tends to fuck her over because she's not as smart as she thinks and she's too damn confidant and stubborn for her own good.
3. No one can do cognitive dissonance like Alex Drake. She can probably sustain cognitive dissonance while actually acknowledging that it is cognitive dissonance. She's like a fucking Jedi of it.
4. When in doubt about plot or anything, Alex's default setting should be drunk. She's so good at being an "adult" sometimes that half the time I don't think she's a real person unless she is drunk.
5. I never, ever have to censor my tendency to use words that most normal people would never say out loud in her dialogue.
(no subject)
Date: 2011-01-12 11:20 pm (UTC)And #4 hurts me because it's true, and #5 is part of why I love her to tiny bits.
Thank you!
(no subject)
Date: 2011-01-13 05:49 pm (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2011-01-13 07:54 pm (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2011-01-13 09:08 pm (UTC)2. One must always be mindful that his approach to interpersonal relationships must reflect the fact that emotionally, he's about 12 and capable of going into full-blown pouty-strops and pig-tail pulling episodes.
3. He has an immense sense of personal responsibility. I mean, some people walk around like they've got the world on their shoulders and it drives them mad and destroys their sense of perspective, but Gene Hunt took the world, put it on his shoulders, and just kept trucking.
4. He never does things by half measures (see above, or also that time he put that bloke in the rent-a-car and tortured him with a junkyard crane. That's a sentence I'll never get tired of writing.). He can be the most loving man in the world or the most unbelievably dangerous. He doesn't like to face EITHER of those parts of himself, and spends a lot of time trying to pretend that he doesn't feel these emotions, and only feels the emotions that he sees as socially acceptable (in his skewed, cowboy-fantasy, 50's tinged way).
5. His little collection of lost coppers make him better, almost in the same way that the Doctor's companions reign him in. I'm not just talking about Sam and Alex either.
(no subject)
Date: 2011-01-13 09:13 pm (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2011-01-13 09:19 pm (UTC)